Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Market


Hello Students,

I am very happy that there are new students. I am also very happy that many students I taught are continuing to study at Arlington Hills! It's very good for improving your English. Congratulations on moving to level C, Vanny. Your topics about civil responsibility and driving sound very interesting. Some of the drivers in Tajikistan need to take a class about driving! :)

I'm going to write about the markets in Tajikistan. Most people buy food in a farmer's market, like the ones in St. Paul and Minneapolis, and many of your home countries. Now is a good time of year for fruits and vegetables in Tajikistan. In the winter, there aren't very many fruits and vegetables, and they are very expensive. Now, there are lots of fruits and vegetables and they are cheap. They are also very delicious because they are fresh. There are apples, pears, pomegranates, melons, sweet peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, eggplants, and more. There are some hot peppers here, but they are not very spicy like the peppers from Thailand or Mexico. Tajik people don't like very spicy food! I miss eating spicy food, but I really like the food of Tajikistan.

In the picture, you can see lots and lots of melons at a market. One of my students works at a different market after school. He helps his brother sell watermelons. Some markets have lots of clothes, and some have lots of food. Now, the vegetables are much cheaper than in Minnesota. One kilogram of tomatoes (2 pounds) costs less than $1. One kilo of cucumbers is about $0.50. Apples are about $1 a kilogram. One watermelon is $1.50. Rice is not very cheap. It is about $1 a kilogram for a small bag. It is cheaper if you have a large family and buy a large bag of rice.

Do you like the snow in October? All my students here want to learn about Halloween, so I think we will plan a Halloween party. Will you have a Halloween party with Mr. Jim at school this year? Say hello to Mr. Jim and Mr. Jerry for me.

Love,
Teacher Bethany

2 comments:

  1. Hi Teacher Bethany!

    I have been teaching level B students for 2 weeks.
    I've been subbing for Jonna.

    The first week I was subbing, Chong was asking about your blog. Now I see that students can post comments and communicate with you through this site.

    What a great idea! I know they miss you and they have been looking at your photos online.

    The next time we have computers, I will take those who are interested aside and we will look at your blog, read the recent entry, and students can post comments again if they like.

    I will be working with Level A students starting next week. I will be with Level B in the mornings and Level A in the afternoons.

    Last week, Level B carved Jack-O-Lanterns and roasted Pumpkin Seeds. We posted photos and commentary on the Adventures at Arlington Blog.

    Hope you are doing well!
    We all enjoy hearing about your life in Tajikistan.

    Take care,
    Teacher (Subbing) Jennifer M

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi.dearteacher.bethanywecanseeyoutypetovisitweveryhappytoo.today.i.willtypetovisit.you.becouse.youalway.wealongtimewemissyoumuchhowlong.youwillcomebackwecountry.doyoumissyourold.student.intheminnesotawecometoschooleveryday.inschoolarlingtonhillandyoutolive.thetajikistan.have.americanfood.youeattaji.food.wecanseeyouonthecomputer.wemissyoumuchnoveber.2.09.from.chongmoua.willseeyounexttimebye

    ReplyDelete